Wednesday, July 16, 2008

2nd Day of Class

Today started out way to early for most of our class. We all decided it would be a good idea to go out to a Jazz pub together last night. Staying out until 2:00AM and having class at 9:00Am was not the best decision. We had a good time, though. In England, I have learned that it is rude to talk over a band while they are performing. In America, we yell as loud as we can to try to drown out the band. Ha. We were quickly informed that we were being rude by a chap named "Bridge." Needless to say, his physique was fitting of his name, so we quieted down fairly quickly.

During class today, we covered parts of chapter 2 and 3 from our book. We furthered our discussion concerning the trade deficit that America currently has, and what impact that is having on foreign investors. We learned about the impact foreign investors have on the U.S. dollar. We debated the pro's and con's of the government interfering with the market by "bailing-out" companies such as bear-sterns with tax-payers money. (Will this allow banks be more reckless with their decisions knowing that their investment will inevitably be backed by the government?)

Since Dr. Michello wouldn't allow us to sleep in class, we all took naps afterwards. After we were refreshed, Jessica and I went to the Imperial War Museum. It covered topics of war dating back to WWI to the present day. I took as many pictures as I could, but we were in the Holocaust Exhibit most of the time while we were there (no cameras or cell phones allowed). It covered three of the five floors of the museum, and was very detailed with regards to all of the terrible things the Nazi regime did to them.

Well, THIS WEEKEND I will be traveling Edinburgh, Scotland. I will be traveling with one of my classmates named John ("Big John") from Western Kentucky. We booked a hotel for two nights at £70/night, and we got passes that will cover public transportation and admittance into most of the castles and museums. We will be staying right in the downtown area, however, I don't think that I will have internet service there. I will be sure to post again when I get back Saturday night/Sunday morning.
Entrance to Imperial War Museum
Entrance to the museum
Me and Utley about to go into the Holocaust Exhibit
Sherman Tank
Atom bomb "Little Boy" - similar to what the US dropped at Hiroshima

No comments: